Section 80 Demolition Notice: What It Is & How To Submit It

Get In Touch
Thompsons demolition site with machinery

Section 80 Demolition Notice: What It Is & How To Submit It

The Section 80 Demolition Notice is a vital component in any demolition process and no demolition project can commence without it. It is the responsibility of one’s intention to demolish the entirety or part of a building to notify the Local Authority before doing so. As demolition contractors here at Thompsons of Prudhoe, we offer a fully comprehensive service allowing our clients to deal with one company throughout the entire site preparation and enabling process, from the initial consultation to the handover of the site – ready for the construction phase. Below you will find a step-by-step guide as to what the notice is, how you submit a notice and more.

What is the Section 80 Demolition Notice?

You may often hear the phrase Section 80 Demolition Notice, which is featured in the Building Act 1984, is typically referred to as the Notice of Intended Demolition. This means that when there is any intention to for a building to be demolished, entirely, or a part of, the owner MUST let the Local Authority be aware of their intentions before any demolition work can be carried out.

Are there any cases in which a Section 80 Demolition Notice would not need to be submitted?

There are only three exemptions to when a Section 80 Notice does not need to be submitted for demolition work, which are as follows:

  • If the demolition is occurring as a result of a Demolition Order, made under Part IX of the 1985 Housing Act
  • If the demolition is for a shed, greenhouse, conservatory, prefabricated garage or any building that has a cubic content of less than 1,750 cubic feet
  • If the demolition is for an agricultural building as stated in Schedule 5 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 (unless it is attached to another non-agricultural building)

What you need to know about Submitting a Section 80 Demolition Notice

In order to submit your Section 80 Demolition Notice, you will need to apply in writing to the Local Authority. The Notice must specify:

  • The building you are intending to demolish
  • The scope of works that will be completed

The Notice must also be sent to any other business or organisation that is next to the building that is being demolished, in addition to the National Grid as well as the Electricity Board that supplies the area and building with power.

Things to consider: You may find that you need to also get planning permission or approval for the building too.

How long does it take for a Section 80 Demolition Notice Period?

Once you have submitted your notice, you must wait for approval from the Local Authority before you can start any demolition work. This can sometimes take up to six weeks and therefore could delay the work – so always consider this at the very start of a demolition project.

If you do not hear anything from the Local Authority after six weeks has passed from when you submitted your Section 80 Notice, then your demolition can proceed.

However, the local authority may serve you a counter notice under section 81 of the Building Act 1984. The Local Authority will typically serve a Counter Notice if certain work needs to be completed. Which typically include:

  • Repair any damage to adjacent buildings as a result of demolition work
  • Appropriate action take in order to protect the public during the demolition
  • Weatherproof any buildings/surfaces of neighbouring buildings that have or will be exposed by the intended demolition.
  • to make arrangements with the relevant statutory undertakers for the disconnection of the supply of gas, electricity and water to the building
  • to take such steps relating to the conditions subject to which, the demolition is to be undertaken, and the condition in which the site is to be left on completion of the demolition works, as the local authority may consider reasonably necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

For a full list of reasons why a counter notice can be served, you can read Section 81 of the Building Act 1984

How can Thompsons of Prudhoe help?

If you are looking for a specialised demolition contractor, then Thompsons of Prudhoe are your go-to! From initial consultation, we can scope your project from start to finish, completing your Section 80 Demolition Notice on your behalf before planning, carrying out and completing the demolition of your building. With over 73 years of experience within the industry, your project is in the safest of hands with us. Get in touch today to get the ball rolling, by giving us a call on +44(0)1661 832 422 or email us at